9/04/2013

Rexlace 1

During a fall season, I started to develop new sabiki. When I looked for shiny materials similar to metal jigs at AC Moore, I found plastic strips of various color. They were Rexlace. I bought silver holo one and tried various arrangements to make a lure. At the beginning, my goal was mimicking metal jigs. So I wanted to make it long around 1.75’’. It cannot be long enough if you attach Rexlace to the shank of the hook. So I reached the design that the leader went through between a pair of strips. I made a head part with aluminum, attached beads eyes and added a feather to the tail hook. It looks like upper Rexbait in the photo below.
 
I tested this at the pier in November and found that fish bit on a jig and Rexbait half and half. I was very happy with this performance. Problem was that I could not make many at the same time. I thought the catch wouldn’t be so different if I removed head and eyes so made simple ones like lower in the photo.
 
 
 













The rig with several longer Rexbaits has a disadvantage. It cannot be casted long and sensitive to wind. So I came to use 1’’ size shorter ones more frequently. It is much easier to make the model compared to the first model. It could catch fish as well as longer one. Materials and methothds are illustrated in another post.
 
As for hooks, I used Gamakatsu Octopus chrome #4 and #6 at the beginning. They were good but a little too expensive. So I looked for less expensive bulk hooks and now I am using Iseama as the main hook.













Rexbait glow white/siver 1'' feather tail model. Rigs with 2-4 hooks work well for pier fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment