8/16/2013

Sabiki Rig

When I started the mackerel fishing from shore, I used a Mustad white film sabiki. However, mackerel always bit on a jig. I wanted to hook up on a sabiki rig as well because it enables double or triple when a school comes. In addition, if you can catch fish on a sabiki, you can use a sinker instead of a jig around the rough bottom. I found that people using sabiki rigs not only with film or skin but also with feather or fiber were successful. I got a rig of ahi USA at a local tackle shop and caught some mackerel but wanted to make my own rigs. My idea was that if mackerel bite on a jig, a sabiki looks like a metal jig works.

I looked for materials at AC Moore and Christmas tree shop when I had time. I picked up several materials and tried. I also bought some bulk hooks.

Films
What I tried first was iridescent gift wrapping film. It worked well for catching fish but easily tore if you fish more than10 at a party boat or long cast with a 2 oz jig. So I looked for more durable ones. Now I am using mirror film for windows. It can catch fish as well and much more durable. Various types of ribbons also work. I tested silver holo and pearl white, both worked well.

Fibers
Nylon hair for girls is easily available and you can choose from several colors. I use cotton candy pink as well as white. I blend a few strips of silver or gold holo hair.

Hooks
Inline (non-offset) hooks work better. For long shank ones, I use O’Shaughnessy #2-1. I also like sharp point short shank hooks such as Chinta.

The detailed method is written in another postI use 2-hook rigs mainly for party boat and 4-hook rigs for pier fishing. Rexbait is another design of sabiki with solid plastic. Although making Rexbait takes more time and effort than film-based sabiki, it works very well especially at a pier
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment