9/04/2013

Bonito

In early October, I went to Willows pier early morning for mack. I used 6’6’’ medium rod and small Daiwa reel with 15 lb PowerPro. As for the rig, I used Mustad sabiki rig and 1/2 oz Kastmaster chrome/blue. There were several people casting jig.

I started from middle range and moved to the bottom. I got one around the bottom far from the pier. Another hit also at the bottom near the pier. Both fish bit on the jig. Another fisherman got double/triple with sabiki rig. It seemed that there was a path for fish school.

I got another hit on jig very close to the pier. It was a little different from mackerel. What I landed looked like Spanish mackerel but didn’t have yellow spots. People said it was a bonito. Bonito is usually seen in southern area. It might be a sign on global warming. I talked with a man watching fishing about some southern species such as blackseabass and fluke we saw around here in a few years.

The fisherman who caught a bunch of mack said that he made his own sabiki rig with shiny materials. I was actually inspired to try to make my sabiki at that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment