9/29/2013

July Eastman’s Marathon

July 4th was Thursday. As I reviewed fleet schedules, Eastman's had a marathon. It seemed that spots were still available as of Wednesday evening. I decided to leave early morning and try. I would go to allday if a spot was not available. As I called a little before 4 on my way, I could reserve a spot. So I kept driving to the office and checked in. The spot was the middle of starboard. Most of the people looked regulars, who were willing to go fishing for 12 hours that day! There were only several of rental rods. Main stream were 7-8’ sturdy jigging rods. Lady Merrilee Ann 3 left the dock at 5 and went out for 2 hours.

I brought 6.6’ UglyStik with Okuma level wind reel. Jigs were 14 oz Eagle Claw, which I bought at Kittery trading post for $9.99 sale price. Two regulars next to me brought in a big bleeding bucket and two 150 QT size cooler boxes with full of crushed ice. They got a few pollock very soon, removed gut and gill, bled in the bucket, and placed on ice neatly. I asked if it made difference. They said that meat would become lighter color and taste good. What marathon ready people!

I got steady bites of pollock too although it was slower than the party next to me. They casted a jig in long distance and continuously jigged up and down with holding a rod on the rail. Although I tried to copy them, I could not catch up them. They also got more cod. I managed to keep one cod but mostly 6-8 lb size of pollock. I kept yo-yo jigging. Catch didn’t change much, little shorts, no dog and no big ones. In the end, I got 10, 9 pollock and 1 cod. Although it was not very good as a marathon, it was not a bad trip. I would say good.

Compared to the next regulars I was way behind for casting distance and the number of keepers. I could get some on the stainless type of jig that day but they used Angerman. I wondered that Angerman jig or Lav jig might really outfish. As I saw the cleaning, 10 keepers were not so bad in the boat. I got dinner and some stock for lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment