11/30/2013

Flounder and Tautog

It was a sunny Sunday in May. High tide was around noon. Although I had to go to the airport for a business trip in the evening, I had time before that. I thought I could catch some flounder. After getting two dozens of sea worms at Beverly B&T, I went to State Pier with my daughter.

When we arrived at the pier at 11, the spot I usually fish was open. Rigs are one-hook spreader rigs with 17 LB fluorocarbon leader and Aberdeen #4 hook. Sinkers were 1/2-2 oz. Main lines were 15-20 LB braided spooled on small spinning reels. I set 3 rods. The first fish hit on a 5.5’ toy rod. I asked my daughter to reel in. What showed up was a nice winter flounder, 17’’ one. I grabbed the gill of the fish and landed. 

Soon after that, another fish hit on a 6.5’ freshwater medium rod. I had her reel again. It looked a little bigger. I picked it up from the water when she reeled it up to the surface. It was even better 18.5’’ one! Both fish hit near the pier. There was no action on a surf rod I casted farther.

As the bite became slower after high tide, I moved to Beverly pier. I wanted to consume the rest of baits. I knew there were lots of crabs so I thought fishing there was good to consume sea worms. I set the same rigs and dropped around the pier.

When I set the second rod, I found a strong hit. As I saw the rod tip bent, I thought it was not a flounder. After fighting carefully, what I found was not flat. I grabbed the main line and landed a black fish. It was a keeper tautog, 17’’ one! I was very lucky because I could catch it with a skinny Aberdeen hook. If I set hook strongly or I tightened the drag, the hook would bend and I couldn’t keep the fish. As it passed the middle of outgoing tide, I wrapped up.

I got all 17’’ up fish within 30 YD from the pier. Fishing in May is phenomenal!

No comments:

Post a Comment