12/06/2013

Sabiki Rig 2

Tying Sabiki is fun for a winter work. I tried new combinations this year. Detailed procedure is described in another post.

Film
Mirror film for windows is available at Home Depot. It is excellent because it is shiny and tr
ansparent, mimicing bait fish very well. Another characteristic I like is that it can make round 3D shape which imitates bait fish seen from any direction. I remove clear film, then remove glue scratching with a finger. I do this worrying if fish may dislike chemical in glue. An hour of work is good enough to get film for 100 sabiki.
















Silver holo ribbon is also good. I got the ribbon below at Target. It is sturdier than mirror film.
















Fiber
Nylon hair accessories disappeared from stores this year because of the end of boom. However, I found an online store selling nylon hair for dolls.

http://www.dollyhair.com/nylonhair.htm

I got several colors of materials for sabiki rigs and cod flies. Items of 38" hank are good. These materials are soft and frizzy. Good for flasher type of sabiki. Below is a silver color one, called Moonlight. I think fly tying materials are also good.


















Hook
I got made-in-Japan hooks this season. They are super sharp and bulk packs of 100 hooks are reasonably priced.

http://www.fishhook.co.jp/pricelist/index_1_5_tataki_barb.html

Ooaji(No.9747) #13 and Shinkairyo Chinu (No.6663) #8 are good size and shape for mackerel sabiki. O'Shaughnessy #2 is also available.
















Sabiki made of Ooaji#13, mirror film and nylon hairs of Daiquari Ice (light blue), Pussycat (light pink), Mango Tango (orange), and Spring Meadow (green). 


No comments:

Post a Comment