1/01/2014

Pollock Boil

It was the middle of June. I went to State Pier for mack. I arrived at the pier a little before sun rise. I set a Rexbait rig and casted. The first fish was a 12”pollock. I released it.

In the meantime, I found surface actions here and there. Maybe stripers were chasing bait fish. I set a Storm jig to a surf rod and casted on the boil. Active surface actions were within the casting range. Although the jig dropped on the sweet spot of the action, I couldn’t have a hit. I realized that it was different from schoolie.

I got back to sabiki and casted to the surface boil. In a few seconds, I got full hook of pollock. I found some baby herring of two inches from the mouth. Pollock were chasing bait fish on the top! It surprised me a lot because pollock were bottom fish for me.

I followed the boil to the inner part of the harbor. Surface action spread all around the dock with full volume of the noise. Splendid view! It was literally the BOIL! Every time I casted the rig, I got 4-5 fish. It was tough to reel in.

Fish were gone around 6 o’clock. I came back to the original spot and got a mack, which was the only one for the day. It ate small herring, too.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment