10/01/2013

Early Season Flounder

I found Al’s bait opened at the beginning of April. As I looked into tide for Saturday, high was around noon. Water warmed up in the river would come out to the mouth in the afternoon. I thought it was ideal in early season. So I planned on fishing flounder at Willows pier with my daughter.

Unfortunately, Al’s didn’t have sea worm yet. I drove to Bridge Street and got a dozen on the way. We started around 2:45. I used a rig with a kind of spreader bar. Sinker was 1/2- 1 oz. Aberdeen #4 was tied with 16’’ of 17 lb fluorocarbon leader. I set a 12’ telescope rod, a 6.5’ medium rod and a 5.5’ medium rod. Reels were small ones with 15 or 20 lb PowerPro. There were no crabs unlike in summer. I wondered it might be too early.

Meantime boys on bikes came to the pier. When I talked with them a little, one boy found something bit on a telescope rod. I took the rod on hand and found that it was not wind but fish. I counted 15 seconds and set hook. What showed up as I reeled in was a 12’’ plus of winter flounder.

I casted all rigs to the same area but didn’t have any action after that. I wrapped up around 5. It was a warm sunny day so things worked as I expected. However, it was a surprise for me to catch a flatty in the first week of April. This year might be special because water temp was higher than average at this time of the year.

When I enjoyed flakey seafood for dinner, I realized with excitement that the season started. Where would I explore next?







No comments:

Post a Comment