10/18/2013

Jigs for Shore Mack Fishing

I have several types of jigs in the tackle box for shore mackerel fishing. Kastmaster is usually the primary choice. I use 1/4 to 3/4 oz chrome or chrome/blue depending on the wind, distance and depth. Alternates from South Bend or Cabela’s also work although the quality of the hook is not very good. Fluttering action at the falling is outstanding. The method I often use is jigging and falling near the bottom after casting. When I need the casting distance, I use 3/4 to 1 oz Crippled Herring. It also sinks slowly. Zingama jig is popular at Willows. I use 1-1/4 to 2 oz one when the strong wind blows. It is a fast sinking and fast semi-horizontal jigging to have mack chase is the way to go.

For the fishing from the pier, I tie the hook with 15 lb mono line instead of a split ring. I like to jig near the bottom. Fishing bottom is sometimes very productive especially in the middle of day. If you fish in such a way, snags are inevitable. I use 15 to 20 lb PowerPro for main line and 20 lb mono for sabiki main line. In most case, I can recover the jig at a snag, losing only a treble hook. I have tried a single hook as well but it didn’t work as I expected. It also snagged frequently at the spots I fished. I usually switch the jig when I lose the hook. In addition to the substitute jigs, I carry a few bulk hooks of #6 and #8.


No comments:

Post a Comment