10/16/2013

May Pavilion Beach Flounder

Google satellite is an excellent tool to search for sandy spots. In early spring, I picked up several spots for the flounder fishing. Pavilion Beach was the one I wanted to try. I went there in the middle of May.

High tide was 16:30. After getting a dozen of sea worms at Three Lantern, I started fishing around 5 pm. I set a 12’ telescope rod, an 8’ surf rod and a 6.5’ freshwater medium rod. Spreader rigs with 1/2 to 2 oz sinkers were used. Single Aberdeen #4 hook was tied with 20’’ of 17 lb fluorocarbon leader. I put a whole sea worm to the hook.

I casted rigs in various directions. Some spots had eelgrass. When I reeled in the rig, I occasionally felt like a snag. As I understood the situation of the bottom, I found a hot spot. When I checked the telescope rod, I found a fish on. I reeled in carefully and found a nice flounder. I grabbed the main line and pulled it. I picked up a scale from a backpack and measured. It was 16’’.

Soon after that, I found another hit on the surf rod. I counted 10 seconds and set hook. I felt it swam differently. I wondered it might be a schoolie but what showed up was another nice flounder. It was even bigger, 17’’! I casted rigs to the spot I caught. I got another but it was a little shorter than 12’’ and was released. Although I fished until a little before 7 pm, the under size was the last one.

I fished there for the first time and had never seen anyone catching flounder there. Spotting fish is the most important for the catch. I think the spot determine 70% of the catch of the day. Finding new spots is the key to expand the options. And so much fun when it is successful!

No comments:

Post a Comment